Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Teen Dreams


If you were lucky enough to escape the curse of Teen Idol Fandom, congratulations -- I wasn't.  Last week my friend Gina afforded me the unique opportunity to meet mine -- the one, the only... Rick Springfield!  Soon to be 60 and still going strong, you can check out all things Springfield at rickspringfield.com, including his latest CD entitled "My Precious Little One," a collection of lullabies he wrote for his sons that he  gave me a copy of personally (so sweet!) because Gina told him I was pregnant.  Rick couldn't have been nicer and the whole experience made me think about Teen Idols and how much fun it is to have them in youth, as well as fond memories of them so many years later.  So in commemoration of my encounter with Rick, I'm playing nothing but Teen Idols this podcast.  Hopefully I've played yours -- if not, tell me and I'll happily do a follow-up show!

Playlist:

Leif Garrett - "I Was Made For Dancin'" (partial)
Rick Springfield - "Love Is Alright Tonite"
New Kids On The Block - "You Got It (The Right Stuff)"
Tiffany - "I Think We're Alone Now"
Frank Sinatra - "Young At Heart"
Elvis Presley - "Teddy Bear"
Ricky Nelson - "Travelin' Man"
The Beatles - "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You"
The Jackson 5 - "Mama's Pearl"
David Cassidy - "I Woke Up In Love This Morning"
Andy Gibb - "Shadow Dancing"
Britney Spears - "I'm A Slave For You"
Rick Springfield - "Jessie's Girl"

If you want to download an mp3 of this podcast, click below:


7 comments:

  1. Fantastic! So good to see you back in your groove with all the awesome tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've taken me back in time. My bangs are teased, my eyeshadow is bright blue, I'm wearing Love's Baby Soft and I'm slicking on the roll-on lip gloss hoping my braces don't get locked with my crush's if we ever finally makeout tonight. Thanks for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rashmi -- thank you for enjoying the show! I'm happy to be grooving again after almost two decades away from the mic!

    Monika -- wow! Roll-on lip gloss! Now you are taking me back! You are welcome for the ride back... it's fun to remember all that early-teens craziness, isn't it? Thanks for listening

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff! I love "I Think We're Alone Now." That song is busting at the seams with gay subtext.
    And I feel I should add my sister had New Kids bedsheets.
    - Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ray! I will listen for the seam-busting subtext next time I give Tiffany a spin... frankly the bedsheets are much harder to believe. I hope you have photographic evidence...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm behind.... You didn't even tell me you met Rick "General Hospital" Springfield

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rusty Eagle... thanks so much for writing in -- it sounds like I know you but I'm not quite sure who you are! Please reveal yourself (I mean your identity) here or in an e-mail and I'll be sure to apologize directly for not telling you about me and Ricky S.

    ReplyDelete